The population of senior citizens in India is increasing steadily because of their improved health and medical amenities. People getting older brings them many physical challenges, many health problems, and even they become inactive. The Social Welfare Department has a scheme for senior citizens to avail themselves of some benefits. They introduced the senior citizen card to make the process much easier.
The Social Welfare Department provides recognized proof for the elderly and aged to encourage and give access to many discounts, concessions, and priority services from the government, private and public companies, and commercial establishments.
Besides enjoying their golden years by spending time with family, senior citizens enjoy the benefits of this card for their convenience and financial burdens.
To avail of the senior citizen card, some points need to be considered as eligibility.
- People 60 years and above and residing alone with a spouse are eligible.
- The person must be a citizen of India or a Permanent Resident of India and for a particular state from which they apply.
Benefits of Senior Citizen Card
- There are many benefits to this card. Some of them are:
- The senior citizens will get monetary assistance, convenience, etc.
- They can avail of the Railway discount of 30%.
- Air travel concessions are also provided for senior citizens.
- Senior citizens can avail of benefits in hospitals and banks, and they have tax exemptions also.
Documents Required for a senior citizen card.
- Residence Proof is issued from the corresponding state officials like ration cards, valid passports, voter ID cards, electricity, or telephone bills.
- Date of birth or relevant documents like pan card, school leaving certificate, election card, if women need to submit a marriage certificate, serve as proof of age.
- The application form is filled, attaching the documents needed before submitting the form are attached.
How to get Senior Citizen Card Online?
To apply for senior citizen cards online, senior citizens have to visit the website of the state they belong to. The website is different for all states.
- Senior citizens have to visit the website.
- On the home, click on the Application form.
- A new page opens with a form. Fill the form with name, date of birth, blood group, address, state, pin code, taluk, phone number, and email address.
- Also, fill in the details of the relative name and phone number. Click on the submit button now.
- A new page opens where the applicant must upload a passport-size photo and other required documents to get a senior citizen card.
- Now select the payment option, and submit the payment details.
- Download the senior citizen’s certificate anytime from a week to twenty days.
Senior citizens can apply for the card by filling out the application form and submitting it to the department’s relevant documents.
Click here for the Application Form Senior citizen card.