In 1954, the CGHS (Central Government Health Scheme) had launched for current and former employees of the Central Government of India. This article can learn about the CGHS Registration, online CGHS card application, eligibility, required documents, etc.
The Government of India specially designs the scheme for the development of beneficiaries. Therefore, you can facilitate medical services through CGHS Dispensary or Clinic under Allopathy, Ayurveda, Homeopathy etc.
- 1 CGHS Card
- 1.0.1 Features of the CGHS Card
- 1.0.2 Eligibility Criteria
- 1.0.3 Facilities Provided
- 1.0.4 Different Types of Medical Systems Covered
- 1.0.5 Treatments Not Covered
- 1.0.6 Contribution toward Central Government Health Scheme
- 1.0.7 CGHS Registration Process
- 1.0.8 Documents Required
- 1.0.9 Online CGHS Application
- 1.0.10 Validity
- 1.0.11 How to Print?
- 1.0.12 Conclusion
Health care is a major concern in a country like India, which has the highest population below the poverty line. Inadequacy of funding limits quality medical facilities. The Central Government Health Care Scheme (CGHS) had introduced to combat the health problems of all Central Government employees.
The CGHS scheme is a more general concept of health insurance. Therefore, an individual should understand its basics before choosing a plan. Details of the Central Government Health Scheme had given below.
Take a look: Every health insurance policy has specific components based on employee needs and preferences. Take a closer look at the points of the CGHS Health Plan here:
Features of the CGHS Card
Here are the main features of the CGHS Card:
- Once the CGHS card expires, it must surrender to the relevant Department.
- In case of renewal, you should submit a form and the required details.
- You cannot transfer the CGHS card from one employee to another.
- Misusing the CGHS card carries penalties and disciplinary action (in extreme cases).
The eligibility criteria for the Central Government Health Scheme are as follows:
- Employees are earning wages from Central Civil Assessments.
- Beneficiaries of family members receiving wages from Central Civil Estimates.
- Dependents of families living in areas covered by the Central Government Health Scheme.
- Central Government Pensioners.
- Members of Parliament.
- Delhi Police personnel.
- Former Vice Presidents.
- Former and Lieutenant Governors.
- Post and Telegraph Department employees.
- Freedom fighters.
- Current or retired judges of the Supreme Court and the High Court
- Press Information Bureau Journalists.
- Railway Board employees.
They provided many facilities under the Central Government Health Scheme to develop employees.
- OPD treatment and medication costs.
- Consultation at government or polyclinic hospitals.
- Research in government or CGHS impanelled hospitals.
- Cashless facilities at CGHS Empanelled Hospitals and Diagnostic Centres.
- Reimbursement for treatments, hearing aids, prostheses, accessories, etc.
- Indoor treatment in government or CGHS empanelled hospitals.
- Child and Maternity health services and family welfare.
- Medical consultations and distribution of medicines for AYUSH.
Different Types of Medical Systems Covered
The following medical systems had covered under the Central Government Health Scheme:
- Indian system of medicine
Treatments Not Covered
You cannot resolve subsequent and in-patient treatments in the following cases:
You may receive treatment at any hospital, but they will make Reimbursement only at the Additional General where the CGHS card is registered.
Reimbursement of medical bills
You can get treatment at any hospital, but the claim amount is limited to the prices quoted under the Central Government Health Scheme. Again, you must claim the CGHS card at the registered Additional General.
Contribution toward Central Government Health Scheme
Private hospital wards empanelled under CGHS are available based on your (each individual’s) salary grade. The ward entitlement under CGHS is as follows:
|Ward Entitlement||Corresponding Monthly Basic Pay Drawn by the Officer in 7th CPC|
|General Ward||Up to RS 47,600|
|Semi-Private Ward||RS 47,601 to RS 63,100|
|Private Ward||RS 63,101 and above|
CGHS Registration Process
for Current Employees To apply for the Central Government Health Scheme for Current Employees, follow the steps given below:
- Login to the Online Portal.
- Submit the CGHS application form to complete the CGHS registration.
CGHS application form is available on the Central Government’s official website. One can get it from any of the authorized CGHS Wellness Centres run by the Central Government of India.
Below are the documents required for the CGHS Registration process.
- Application form in the prescribed format.
- Photos of the beneficiary’s family members.
- Documents required by family members.
Pensioners can register for the Central Government Health Scheme and obtain a CGHS card by visiting the office of the Additional Director or Joint Director in their city.
Documents required for pensioner registration
- Application form in the prescribed format
- Proof of address of the pensioner
- Proof of address of the pensioner’s dependent
- Proof of age of the pensioner dependent
- Photos of the beneficiary’s family members
- Disability Certificate, if applicable
- Surrender Certificate, if the pensioner has an active CGHS card
- Certified copies of the last payment certificate
- Temporary card if it had not provided PPO
- Draft the amount required for CGHS contribution
Online CGHS Application
Eligible persons should submit the application form on the official website. The application form is also available at CGHS Wellness Centres.
Although you cannot upload supporting documents online, you can submit the application form on the official website. Online CGHS application is in the below procedure:
- Fill out the entire application form with the correct details and attach the photos in the designated areas.
- Submit the application form online and take a printout.
- Attach supporting documents.
- Make sure the Head duly approves the paperwork of the Department or the office that serves the employees.
- Submit the paperwork to the office of the Additional Director HQ in Delhi or the office of the Additional Director in other cities.
Employees serving can apply for the Pensioner CGHS Card as follows:
- Submit the employee’s office application to the CGHS with a bank draft and enclosure.
- Suppose the application is completed six weeks before the retirement date. In that case, the pensioner card will be issued on the day of retirement and activated the next day.
- For employees serving CGHS card validity, the CGHS card is valid until the day of their retirement.
- To continue/extend the validity of the CGHS card after retirement, you must assist one year before completion.
- Note that the CGHS card application is valid only in cities.
- For employees transferred to non-CGHS covered areas, the CGHS card is valid for up to 6 months after transfer to family members if the contribution has been made in advance.
- The CGHS card is valid in all CGHS-covered areas for hospitalization, treatment and research.
- Therefore, to receive treatment in another CGHS city, only transmission permits are required for high-value drugs classified as life-saving or preventative supply drugs.
How to Print?
- Visit the official online portal.
- Click on the ‘Beneficiaries’ option in the top menu bar and select ‘Beneficiary Login’.
- Enter your beneficiary ID, password and appropriate captcha code to sign in.
- Click on ‘Print Card’ for members who need a CGHS card.
- Input the OTP sent to your registered mobile number and click on ‘Print CGHS Card’.
- A message requesting a colour printout and lamination will appear on the screen.
- Download the e-CGHS card online, proceed to open it and print it.
Overall, CGHS Registration provides comprehensive health care coverage to its applicants, which can be very beneficial in the long run. The financial assistance and quality services provided under the CGHS scheme will benefit every citizen, whether you are a Central Government employee or a pensioner. In addition, the security of those who depend on you will give you peace of mind.