- 1 Passport Renewal
- 1.1 Registering online for the passport renewal process
- 1.2 Documents Required for Indian Passport Renewal
- 1.3 How to Login Passport Renewal Online?
- 1.4 Difference between Renewal and Re-issue of Passports:
- 1.5 Indian Passport Renewal of Short Validity Passport (SVP):
- 1.6 How to Pay the Passport Fee?
- 1.7 Type of Service:
- 1.8 Tools help to calculate Surrender Certificate Fees for:
- 1.9 Important points to note regarding payment of passport renewal fees:
A passport is valid for a time of 10 years only in India. To continue the benefits of the passport, the person needs to do an Indian Passport renewal online before the validity expires. A passport is generally accepted as proof of identification, address, and age. Therefore, having a passport is very useful as it comes in useful at many points in a person’s life. People must pay passport renewal fees for renewal and passport re-issue.
Registering online for the passport renewal process
To apply for passport renewal, firstly, the person needs to create a passport account on the official website of Passport Seva
Steps to create an Indian passport account Online
- Register for the passport renewal on the Passport Seva official website.
- Log in using the link ‘Existing User Login.’ if you have already registered.
- Create an account by pressing on ‘New User Register Now’ if you are not an existing user.
- Based on your address, select the passport office closest.
- Provide the details that include name, date of birth, etc., and create a login ID and password.
- You will receive a mail along with an activation link.
- Using the link in the email, activate the account.
- After signing in to the passport account, go to the ‘Apply for Fresh Passport/Re-issue of Passport’ tab.
- Filling in the Passport Renewal Application
- Fill in the online form after creating an account.
- Press on the ‘Apply for Fresh Passport/Re-issue of Passport’ link and fill in the form.
- Select ‘Validate’ to save a copy of the form.
- Upload the filled-in form
- Verify all the information you entered
- Click on ‘Submit.’
Documents Required for Indian Passport Renewal
Along with the application form, particular documents have to be submitted while applying for passport renewal. For passport renewal, the Passport Seva Kendra website has a ‘Document Advisor.’ Based on the different types of the passport being renewed (regular/tatkal) and the person’s age (minor/adult), documentation would differ. However, the general documents for most persons are as follows:
- Original old Passport
- Self-attested copies of your first two and last two pages of the passport
- ECR/Non-ECR page self-attested copies
- Self-attested copy of your page of observation, if any, made by the Passport Issuing Authority.
- Self-attested copy of the validity with extension page, if any, for the Short Validity Passport (SVP)
- Proof of documents that will eliminate the different causes of issuance of Short Validity Passport (SVP).
- Booking a Slot to Get Renewed Passport
- Schedule an interview according to the slots available after submitting the form.
How to Login Passport Renewal Online?
- Login to your account.
- Click on the ‘View Saved/Submitted Applications’ option.
- Select the ‘Pay and Schedule Appointment’ link select a date from the available slots.
- After selecting the slot, you are directed to the payment gateway as all appointments have to be paid for online. The fee will be differ based on the type of application (normal/tatkal) and the number of pages you want in your new passport booklet.
- choose from the following payment methods:
- SBI Bank challan
- Internet banking
- Creditor debit card
- Make payment.
- Select the ‘Print Application Receipt’ link on-screen.
- While going for the interview, you need to carry a printout of the receipt which mentions the Application Reference Number (ARN)/ Appointment Number.
- Visiting the Passport Office to Renew Passport
- Take the ARN and all original documents to the Passport Seva Kendra/Regional Passport Office on the appointment day.
Difference between Renewal and Re-issue of Passports:
- Expired or about to expire passport
- Lost passport
- Stolen Passport
- Exhaustion of pages
- Damaged or soiled passports
- Change in personal details
The person who applied for passport renewal will get the existing passport as the renewed one, and the person who applied for a re-issue of the passport will get a new passport.
Indian Passport Renewal of Short Validity Passport (SVP):
The passport renewal process is very simple for SVP. But, first, the person needs to go to the Passport Seva Kendra (PSK) and file an application for renewal of Short Validity Passport (SVP).
Short Validity Passports (SVP) is provided in the following cases:
- Students who are appearing for exams like SAT, TOEFL, etc
- NRIs who can wish to travel to Indian country for short periods.
- Non-delivery of the passport because of loss in transit
- Individuals with pending criminal cases
- Indian passport renewal fees
- The fees of a passport depend on the type of passport service applied for (regular/Tatkal). According to the revised rules, all passport fees are to be paid online.
How to Pay the Passport Fee?
- Credit or debit card
- Internet Banking through SBI and Associate Banks
- SBI Bank challan
- SBI Wallet payment
Note: Only the normal fee is to be paid online in the case of Tatkaal applications. If the Tatkaal application is accepted, the balance amount is payable in cash at the PSK/passport office.
Online payments are necessary for appointment bookings at Passport Seva Kendras (PSKs). Banks charge 1.5% + tax for payments made through debit/credit cards. it does not apply to SBI and Associate Banks. Online payments are valid for one year from the first appointment date, and applications must be submitted within this time. If not, the payment will be considered a penalty, and a new payment needs to be made. At Citizen Service Centres (CSCs), payments are made by credit or debit card.
Passport Renewal Fees Calculator:
There is a passport fee calculator tool on the official website of the CPV Division of the Ministry of External Affairs, which calculates the fee for the different types of passport applications.
- Identity Certificate
- Surrender Certificate
- Type of Service:
- (If Re-issue) Reason for Re-issue:
- Validity Expired / Due to Expire
- Delete ECR / Change in Personal Particulars
- Exhaustion of Pages
- Lost / Damaged Passport
- Less than 15 years
- Between 15 to 18 years
- 18 years and above
- For those between 15 to 18 years, five years / till the age of 18 years
- Ten years
Passport Renewal online Several pages in the booklet:
- 36 pages
- 60 pages
- The tool calculates the overall fee for various causes to give a new passport depending on the re-issue
- Identity certificate fee Calculator
- Another feature of the calculator is a tool that calculates the fee for the issue of identity certificates.
Type of Service:
- (If re-issue) Reason for Re-issue:
- Validity Expired / Due to Expire
- Delete ECR / Change in personal particulars
- Exhaustion of pages
- Lost or damaged passport
- Surrender Certificate Fee Calculator
Tools help to calculate Surrender Certificate Fees for:
- Foreign nationality acquired
- before 1st June 2010
- on or after 1st June 2010
- There is a fixed fee for the Police Clearance Certificate (PCC) is Rs.500.
Important points to note regarding payment of passport renewal fees:
- There is no refund for the paid amount.
- If multiple payments have been made for the same passport fee, RPO will refund the excess payments. During the appointment and the passport application, the online application receipt, which contains the Application Reference Number(ARN), must be carried to the passport Seva Kendra.
- Persons who pay online must click Print Application Receipt to generate the ARN and receipt. For payments made through challan, there are no applicable bank charges.