We can change the address on the Aadhaar card online. Aadhaar Card is the 12 digits unique identity number issued by the Indian government to its citizens. Aadhaar makes biometric and demographic information like a fingerprint, iris scan, date of birth, address, etc.
We must keep updating the Aadhaar to avail ourselves of many online services. To avail of the services, first, you must register the mobile number with the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) to send OTP for authentication.
How to update or change the Address on the Aadhaar card online?
People who want to update or change their Aadhaar card address do not need to stand in queues. We can update or change the Aadhaar card address online, post, and offline by visiting the enrollment centres.
Now the government provides an online facility to update or change the Address as “address update request,” one of the online services by the UIDAI.
Download the form for updating the Address in your Aadhaar Card online.
Update or Change the Address in Aadhaar Card Online
- To update or change the Address in the Aadhaar, visit the official website of UIDAI.
- On the home page, put the cursor on “My Aadhaar” and search for “update your address online” under “update your Aadhaar.”
- A new page opens. Click on “proceed to update the address.”
- Enter the 12-digit Aadhaar number or Virtual ID, enter the Captcha code, and click “Send OTP.”
- Enter the OTP generated to the registered mobile number and click “login.”
- Now select the “address update,” update or change the Aadhaar card’s Address and upload all the necessary documents. Review the details entered and click on the “submit the address change request.”
- An Update Request Number (URN) will generate to track the address change status.
Update Address in Aadhaar without Proof of Documents
India’s government, with UIDAI, provided a facility to update or change the Aadhaar card address without submitting the document proofs. Below is the procedure:
- Residents who want to change their addresses must visit the UIDAI portal and log in with their registered mobile number.
- After entering and verifying the Aadhaar details, an SRN will send to the mobile number.
- Click on the link sent to the registered mobile number and log in to provide consent.
- Verifier consent will send to the registered mobile number; now log in by providing the SRN.
- Preview the address details and submit the request.
- A letter with a secret code will send by post to the Address.
- Again, log in to the portal and update or change the Address with a secret code.
- Check the Address and submit a URN sent to check the status request.
Below are the documents that need to scan and uploaded according to the UIDAI website. These are the following documents for online changing the address on the Aadhaar card.
- Original proof of Address self-signed
- Copy of proof of Address corrected or updated
- Passport/bank statement/passbook
- Statement of post office account/ration card/voter ID/driving license/water bill/telephone landline bill
The water, telephone, and electricity bills should not exceed three months.
Points Considered While Updating
- Before updating, make sure the data entered is correct.
- Make sure the spellings are correct.
- Whatever data has provided must be supported by proper documents.
- Keep the acknowledgement, and do not lose that.
- Also, take the URN number to track the update status.
As per the UIDAI, it takes 90 days to update. After the address change request, the UIDAI representative will verify and approve it.
After approval, we can download an e-Aadhaar on the UIDAI website. The Aadhaar letter with updates will forward to the present Address.
Yes, the Aadhaar letter with updates will send to the given Address only for the corrections of name, Address, date of birth, and gender. Other than these, like mobile number, and email id, notifications are sent directly to the mobile/email id number.
Generally, it should take 5-7 days and, at most, 90 days.