Aadhaar Card is the 12 digits unique identity number issued by the Indian government to its citizens. Aadhaar makes biometric and demographic information like a fingerprint, iris scan, date of birth, address, etc.
We have to keep updating the Aadhaar to avail of many online services. To avail, the services first need to register the mobile number with the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) used to send OTP for authentication.
How to update or change the Address in the Aadhaar card?
People who want to update or change their Aadhaar card address do not need to stand in queues. We can update or change the Aadhaar card address online, post, and even offline by visiting the enrollment centers.
Now the government provided an online facility to update or change the Address as “address update request,” one of the online services by the UIDAI.
Click here to download the form for updating the Address in Aadhaar Card online.
Update or Change the Address in Aadhaar Card Online
- To update or change the Address in the Aadhaar, visit the official website of UIDAI.
- On the home page, put the cursor on “My Aadhaar” and search for “update your address online” under “update your Aadhaar.”
- A new page opens. Click on the “proceed to update the address.”
- Enter the 12 digit Aadhaar number or Virtual ID, enter the Captcha code and click on the “Send OTP.”
- Enter the OTP generated to the registered mobile number and click on the “login.”
- Now select the “address update,” update or change the Aadhaar card’s Address and upload all the necessary documents. Review the details entered and click on the “submit the address change request.”
- An Update Request Number (URN) is generate to track the status of the address change.
Update Address in Aadhaar without Proof of Documents
India’s government with UIDAI provided a facility to update or change the Aadhaar card address without submitting the document proofs. Below is the procedure:
- Residents who want to change their Addresses have to visit the UIDAI portal and log in with their registered mobile number.
- Enter the Aadhaar details verify, and an SRN is sent to the mobile number.
- Click on the link sent to the registered mobile number and log in to provide consent.
- Verifier consent sent to the registered mobile number; now login by providing the SRN.
- Preview the address details and submit the request.
- A letter with a secret code is sent by post to the Address.
- Now again, log in to the portal and update or change the Address with a secret code.
- Check the Address and submit a URN sent to check the status request.
Below are the documents that need to scan and uploaded according to the UIDAI website:
- Original proof of Address self-signed
- Copy of proof of Address corrected or updated
- Passport/bank statement/passbook
- Statement of post office account/ration card/voter ID/driving license/water bill/telephone landline bill
The water, telephone, and electricity bills should not be older than three months.
Points Considered While Updating
- Before updating, make sure the data entering is correct.
- Make sure the spellings are correct.
- Whatever the data provided must be supported by proper documents.
- Keep the acknowledgment, and do not lose that.
- Also, take the URN number to track the update status.
How many days does it take to update the Address on the Aadhaar card online?
As per the UIDAI, it takes 90 days to update. After the request to change the Address, the UIDAI representative will verify and approve it.
After approval, we can download e-Aadhaar on the UIDAI website. The Aadhaar letter with updates was forward to the present Address.
Will I get a new Aadhaar Card after the address change?
Yes, the Aadhaar letter with updates sent to the given Address only for the corrections of name, Address, date of birth, and gender. Other than these, like mobile number, email id, notifications are sent directly to the mobile/email id number.