- 1 One Nation One Ration Card
- 2 Apply for Ration Cards on Smartphones
- 3 How to Apply for Ration Card
One Nation One Ration Card
Union Minister Ram Vilas Paswan announced the project One Nation One Ration Card on January 20, 2020. The scheme will roll out to the whole of India from June 1, 2020. Due to Corona Virus, the process was delayed and made unavoidable.
The scheme is the NDA government’s ambitious project. As of August 1, 2020, 24 States/Union Territories in India adopted ration card portability in their provinces.
On his Mann ke baat, Prime Minister Narendra Modi spoke about implementing the ONORC scheme, which provides ration for around 80 crore families in India.
One Nation One Ration Card is significant to help migrant workers get their food supplies as per the National Food Security Act (NFSA).
The Indian government wants to implement the scheme all over the nation by March 2021 to get a ration for all the beneficiaries.
Benefits of ONORC Scheme
- By this scheme, the poor migrant workers will get sufficient food grains. The migrant workers and their families can access PDS benefits from anywhere in the country.
- The PDS shop owners are selling the food grains in the market if the beneficiary’s absence. So by this scheme will reduce black marketing.
- The hunger deaths in the country also reduce and improve India’s rank in the Global Hunger Index Ranking.
Features of One Nation One Ration Card Scheme
- All the previous Ration Card Holders can benefit from the One Nation One Ration Card scheme—no need of getting new cards for the old ration cardholders.
- Beneficiary’s identification based on Aadhaar through the electronic point of sale (e PoS) devices at Public Distribution System shops for eligibility. States with 100% PoS machines at PDS shops come under the ONORC scheme.
- All the citizens of India can apply for a ration card, and children below 18 years come under their parent’s ration cards.
- At present, states of India have different formats and languages of ration cards. Under the ONORC scheme, all the states must follow only one format. The government of India requested to issue the ration cards in two languages, one in their local language and the other language is English or Hindi.
- Ration cards of the new format will have a standard 10-digit ration card number. The first two digits will be the state code, the next two digits are running ration card numbers, and the other two digits are used to generate Unique Member IDs for each beneficiary of the ration card.
- Every BPL Family gets 35 kg of food grains under the scheme.
24 States/Union Territories under ONORC Scheme
These 24 States/UT’s are namely Andhra Pradesh, Bihar, Dadra & Nagar Haveli and Daman & Diu, Goa, Gujarat, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Jammu & Kashmir, Jharkhand, Karnataka, Kerala, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Manipur, Mizoram, Nagaland, Odisha, Punjab, Rajasthan, Sikkim, Telangana, Tripura, Uttar Pradesh, and Uttarakhand.
Apply for Ration Cards on Smartphones
After the launch of the One Nation One Ration Card Scheme, the importance of the Ration Card increased in India. Now ration cards are used as identity cards and are now equal to Aadhaar and PAN Cards.
People who do not have rations cards can apply online and even use smartphones sitting at home. Every state has its website to apply for the ration card.
Types of Ration Cards
There are three types of Ration cards.
- Above Poverty Line
- Below Poverty Line
- Antyodaya Families
Eligibility to Apply for Ration Card
- Citizens of India are only eligible to get Ration Card.
- The person must not have other state ration cards.
- The ration cardholder must be 18 years and above. Children under 18 years come under their parent’s ration card.
- The ration card must be in the name of the head of the family.
- Members included in the ration card must be close relatives with the head of the family.
- The family member’s name must not be on any other ration card.
- Aadhaar Card, passport, voter ID, and any government-issued ID card, driving license, health card given as ID proof.
- PAN Card
- Passport size photos
- Income certificate
- Address proof
- Electricity bill, Gas connection book
- Telephone bill
- Bank statement or passbook
- Rental agreement
How to Apply for Ration Card
- People have to visit their corresponding state’s official website to apply for a ration card.
- Click on the link Apply online for a ration card.
- ID proofs like Aadhaar, voter ID, passport, health card, driving license, etc., for ration card application.
- The application fee for the ration card is from RS 5 to Rs 45. Submit the application and fee after filling the form.
- After field verification is done and the information provided is correct, the government creates the ration card.
- Check the ration card status by visiting the official website.