PM Kisan Urja Suraksha Utthan Mahabhiyan (KUSUM) Scheme: Pradhan Mantri KUSUM Yojana: PM KUSUM Scheme
What is PM KUSUM Scheme?
PM KUSUM Scheme launched by the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE) to support farmers for the installation of solar pumps in rural areas and to reduce the dependence on grids.
The scheme’s main aim is to add solar and another renewable capacity of 25750 MW by the year 2022 with the central financial support of Rs 34422 crore which includes service charges to implementing agencies.
The government wants to provide 3 crore solar pumps to farmers, by these solar pumps brought under subsidy will replace all the present agriculture pumps running with electricity and diesel. KUSUM Scheme will provide advanced technology to farmers for generating power. The solar pumps are having double benefits which will assist farmers in irrigation and also allow farmers to generate safe energy.
The solar pumps will even comprise the energy of the power grid so that farmers can sell the extra power to the government directly and increase their income. About 20 Lakh farmers can set up the solar pumps, finance minister also said that government is ready to help15 Lakh solarize grid-connected pump sets.
Farmers can use their barren lands for solar energy generation, set up the solar power plants, generate electricity, and make it as their livelihood from it. The Union government, in Union Budget 2020-21 made a budget to provide Rs 48000 crore for the upcoming 10 years and allocation done in 4 segments.
KUSUM Scheme Components
- Under the KUSUM scheme, 10000 MW of decentralized renewable energy power plants grid-connected on barren land by workers.
- Farmers, cooperatives, groups of farmers, Panchayat, Water User Associations (WUA) and Farmer Producer Organizations (FPO) will setup these grids.
- Power projects must set up within a radius of 5 Km from the sub-station.
- Farmers in India supported the installation of stand-alone solar agriculture pumps worth of Rs 17.50 Lakh under the PM KUSUM scheme.
- The pump capacity must be up to 7.5 HP for replacing of existing diesel agriculture pumps.
- The government will provide financial support for only 7.5 HP capacity but the farmers can increase the capacity to more than 7.5 HP.
- The government of India wants to solarize 10 Lakh grid-connected agriculture pumps and farmers supported to solarize pumps who are having grid-connected pumps.
- The extrasolar power generated, sold to the DISCOMs (Distribution Companies) of India at a pre-fixed tariff.
- By this generated solar power every farmer’s irrigation needs also fulfilled.
KUSUM Scheme Features
According to the scheme, the main feature is to benefit farmers in two ways, firstly they will get free electricity for irrigation and secondly, the farmers can sell the excess power generated to the power companies and earn money by setting up the solar plants in their vacant places.
- As the first phase, the government is spending 27.5 Lakh solar pump sets free for the farmers.
- The farmers must pay only 10% for installing solar power.
- The central government will provide a subsidy amount directly to the bank account of farmers.
- The power plants set up at only wastelands for solar energy.
- The government will give 60% of the amount as a subsidy for solar pumps to the farmers.
- Banks will provide 30% as loan amounts to farmers under PM Kisan Urja Suraksha Utthan Mahabhiyan (KUSUM) Scheme.
Eligibility for PM KUSUM Scheme
- The beneficiary must be a farmer with an Aadhaar card.
- Farmer also must have a valid bank account.
How to Register & Apply Online for PM KUSUM Yojana?
At present the official website kusum.online is not working, and below is the previous process to register apply online for PM KUSUM Yojana.
- Farmers have to visit the official website.
- A new page appears to click on the “Apply” option to avail Solar Agricultural Pump set Subsidy Scheme 2020-21.
- On the home page click on the “online registration” and the registration form opens.
- Enter the details like name, Aadhaar number, mobile number, email ID, username, set password, and click on the “submit.”
- The farmer will receive the message of successfully registered.
Note: The official website for the PM KUSUM Scheme is kusum.online, but the website closed at present. Be cautious with the 3 fraud websites https://kusum-yojana.co.in/; https://www.onlinekusumyojana.co.in/; http://onlinekusumyojana.com/ detected and invited to apply online for the scheme. Farmers advised not to provide any personal information for these portals.
Helpline & Toll free Numbers for Solar Panel Scheme
Contact: 011-2436-0707, 011-2436-0404
Toll free Number of KUSUM Yojana: 1800-180-3333
KUSUM Scheme comes under which ministry?
PM KUSUM Scheme launched by the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE) to support farmers to install solar pumps in rural areas and reduce dependence on grids.
How I get subsidy for Solar Panel Scheme?
The subsidy given under the Solar Panel Scheme for new and improved solar pumps is as below;
- Farmers have to spend 10% of the total amount,
- The central government will provide 60% of the amount and
- Banks provide the remaining 30% as a loan to the farmers.